Thursday, May 29, 2014

62. Sandman vol 2 #60 to 67 ... DC Vertigo ...

WOW

That's the only word I can think of to describe this story arc. In fact, my first taste of Neil Gaiman's work is one issue in this particular arc. I was captivated by the cover and then once I jumped in, I was hooked. O don't get me wrong. I started in the middle and was so confused by all the characters and the interconnecting storylines. Then there is the jaggedy artwork that looks rushed and too ugly for my tastes but you know what? There is just so much going on in here that it caught my interest and made me sought out in later years, the TPB

And loved it I did!

I have since read it several times over the years

So!

So this is the final arc of the Sandman series in the sense that in this arc, Morpheus, the embodiment of dreams bites the dust. Literally. And the next few issues up to 75 are wrapping up all the loose ends of the diverse character storylines in the series as well as Dream's last rites, funeral and wake plus the introduction of the new Sandman

There! Spoilers, right? But you know what, it doesn't matter. Let me give you a sample of what goes on here. We have Dream moving through his kingdom as he sensed something is terribly wrong. He prepares to go to war but will he even have a chance to fight? We see the angels who are guarding hell and Lucifer who is now the owner of a club on Earth with his servant/ slave a demon

We see a lady who must be half-psychotic traipsing through all sorts of worlds looking for her baby Daniel and we see baby Daniel with some other kooks. Aside from all these, we have the 3 ladies or an embodiment of fate?

And not to forget Dream's so-called brothers and sisters such as Death, Delirium, Destiny and others some on his side while others against, some offering counsel while others praying for him to fail but in the end, it is all up to him what he does for they are not to interfere

See? So many new ideas and concepts, right?

So if you like your comic storylines with a lot of bite and backbone, this is for you. Forget the art (no offence meant to the artist) and just enjoy the story

Ratings: 8/10 (would have been 10 if not for the art)



No comments:

Post a Comment